Bushfire destroys building as blaze continues to burn

By Simon McGuire
Northern Courier
18 Feb 2026
Longford bushfire

A chicken shed has been destroyed by a bushfire at Longford.

Tasmania Fire Service (TFS) say the blaze has now been brought under control and poses no threat to the community.

A smoke alert remains in place for Longford and surrounds, and those on Cotton Street are urged to monitor conditions.

The large scrub fire on the corner of Cressy Road and Cotton Street, Longford, was reported shortly after 3pm on Tuesday and reached emergency level about 3.50pm.

Four aircraft and more than 20 firefighting appliances responded to the incident, and the fire was downgraded to Advice about 5.45pm.

Deputy Regional Chief Steven Richardson said the fire had burnt about 13 hectares and one outbuilding, identified as a chicken shed, had been destroyed.

“I would like to acknowledge and sincerely thank our dedicated volunteer firefighters for their ongoing efforts to protect the community,” Deputy Regional Chief Richardson said.

“Our crews this morning will concentrate efforts on the western flank of the fireground to strengthen containment and prevent further spread today.

“Ten crews will continue patrolling the fireground, with more crews resourced as forecast winds pick up this afternoon.”

A TFS fire investigator will also be on scene today and crews will make further assessments of any property or stock losses.

Add new comment

Plain text

  • Allowed HTML tags: <p> <br>
  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.